Thursday, June 28, 2007

My Class

Here is an update on my class. I have taught Monday through Thursday for the past three weeks. This past week was a trying week. The week before I had a kid who could not read. Last week I realized that over half my class cannot read. I find it very hard to teach these lessons to kids who have not grown up in the church, who do not have English as their first language, and on top of that, cannot read. But, through God, all things are possible!
This past Thursday the lesson came out of Matthew 13:24-30; 36-43. I am trying to use more visuals so that my kids understand. That day I used the felt board. One of the boys asked me why the devil takes people to the "lake of fire" (hell is considered a curse word to them, regardless if it's biblical). I got to share with the kids about why the devil does that and how accepting Jesus will save them from going to hell! I was touched because questions not only mean that they are paying attention, but that they are understanding and asking questions about things that they do not understand.
I have also been doing the memory verse in Spanish and in English to make sure that they understand it. This also helps me learn Spanish biblical vocabulary.
Please continue to pray for all of the kids and us teachers that we may plant seeds in them that will grow long after we leave. If you have any teaching aids or suggestions, please send them. We could really use them. Thank you!

No comments: